Computer forensics or digital forensics is a time period in computer science to obtain legal evidence found in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can discover what happened to the digital media comparable to emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In lots of case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime could happened and the way we can defend ourselves towards it next time.
Some explanation why we have to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To assemble evidences so that it may be used in court to unravel authorized cases. 2. To analyze our network power, and to fill the security hole with patches and fixes. 3. To recuperate deleted recordsdata or any information within the event of hardware or software failure
In computer forensics, an important issues that need to be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The unique proof must not be altered in in any case, and to do conduct the method, forensic investigator should make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the original storage medium and exact copy of the original media. The difference between a bit-stream image and normal copy of the unique storage is bit-stream image is the slack house in the storage. You’ll not find any slack area information on a replica media.
2. All forensic processes should observe the authorized laws in corresponding country where the crimes happened. Every country has different law suit in IT field. Some take IT rules very severely, for instance: cyberattack United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can solely be carried out after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would normally trying at the timeline of how the crimes happened in timely manner. With that, we can produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes could happened. In a big firm, it is urged to create a Digital Forensic Staff or First Responder Group, in order that the company might still protect the proof until the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response guidelines are: 1. On no account ought to anybody, with the exception of Forensic Analyst, to make any attempts to recuperate data from any computer system or system that holds electronic information. 2. Any try and retrieve the information by person stated in number 1, should be averted as it could compromise the integrity of the evidence, during which became inadmissible in authorized court.
Based on that guidelines, it has already explained the vital roles of having a First Responder Workforce in a company. The unqualified person can only secure the perimeter in order that no one can touch the crime scene until Forensic Analyst has come (This may be carried out by taking picture of the crime scene. They’ll additionally make notes about the scene and who were present at that time.
Steps need to be taken when a digital crimes occurred in a professional approach: 1. Safe the crime scene till the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from native authorities or firm’s management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take an image of the crime scene in case of if there is no such thing as a any images has been taken.
4. If the computer continues to be powered on, do not turned off the computer. As a substitute, used a forensic tools corresponding to Helix to get some information that can only be discovered when the computer continues to be powered on, akin to knowledge on RAM, and registries. Such instruments has it’s special perform as to not write something back to the system so the integrity stay intake.
5. Once all live proof is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All of the evidences should be documented, through which chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody maintain data on the evidence, corresponding to: who has the proof for the final time.
7. Securing the evidence must be accompanied by authorized officer such as police as a formality.
8. Back in the lab, Forensic Analyst take the evidence to create bit-stream image, as authentic evidence should not be used. Normally, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. After all Chain of Custody nonetheless used on this state of affairs to keep data of the evidence.
9. Hash of the original proof and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that unique proof and the bit-stream image is the exact copy. So any alteration on the bit image will result in totally different hash, which makes the evidences discovered become inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst begins to find evidence in the bit-stream image by carefully wanting at the corresponding location will depend on what sort of crime has happened. For example: Non permanent Internet Files, Slack House, Deleted File, Steganography files.